2004-04-27

Herbert Selby, Jr. is dead at 75

Selby on compulsive writing from a year ago February

Exit Wounds - "official" et c.

*

"Unfortunately, I suspect there never will be a requiem for the Dream, simply because it will destroy us before we have the opportunity to mourn its passing. Perhaps time will prove me wrong. As Mr. Hemingway said: 'Isn't it pretty to think so?'"

Selby from the Preface to the New Edition of Requiem for a Dream, 2000

*

Im telling you I feel like Cyrano, and he stood up and waved his right arm around as if holding a sword, Bring me giants, not mere mortals, bring me giants and I/ll chop them up in little pieces and -- The doorbell rang and Marion got up and went to the door, chuckling, I hope its not a very big one. She opened the door and Tyrone dragassed in. Harry stood in the middle of the living room waving his imaginary sword, This is a giant? On guard! and he started fencing with Tyrone who just stood there trying to raise his eyes, My father was the best swordsman in Tel Aviv, and he continued to go through his fencing number lunging forward, parrying, thrusting, bending at the knee and suddenly, while bent low, he thrust forth his trusty rapier and struck his enemy a mortal blow, touche! Harry bowed, his fighting arm at his waist, and ushered Tyrone into the kitchen. Marion laughed. Hey man, what the fucks wrong with you. Wrong with me? Nothings wrong with me. I never felt better in my life. Its a great day. A momentous day. A day that will go down in the annals of history as the day Harry Goldfarb turned the world around, upside down, on its ass, the day I fell hopelessly and completely in love and give to my betroved a white plume, and he bowed deeply again and Marion curtsied and accepted the plume and hek knelt at her feet and kissed her extended hand, Arise, Sir Harold, royal knight of the garter, defender of the realm, my beloved prince -- Shit, alls I did was askim whats wrong with him and I gets television on the hoof --

from Requiem

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home