2004-04-23

last year

more from last year

(the year before it is silent)

but the year before that I was painting.


Today at school I saw something that made me furious - and I actually did something about it, something involving red paint and a little civil resistance. :)

A letter I sent to the editor of the USF Oracle.

Dear Editors:

Is this what women are worth to USF? This morning outside Cooper Hall I passed a sandwichboard sign advertising early registration here at USF. The sign depicted, on one side, the silhouette of a woman, breasts prominently displayed, sitting at a desk; on the other side, the outline of a woman draped over a textbook. The caption above told students they could Get What They Want at USF. At first glance I thought it might be the work of a student organization or group, but the only logo on either side was that of the University of South Florida, and in small letters on the bottom, "Sex Sells Advertising." What a shame that a respected Research One institution must resort to using tits and ass to sell its product!

I remain completely outraged at this derogatory and exploitative depiction of women, apparently sanctioned by the administration of this university. The question I painted on the sign (which was later removed by persons unknown to me) is one I wish to ask the parties responsible, whomever they might be: Is this what women are worth to USF?


From the old site. So vehement. So cute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home