2004-04-24

Getting better acquainted with 2 a.m. after long absence.

Among notes for Econ:

But what then does it mean to venture? A venture is the precise correlative of an uncertainty; when the certainty is there the venture becomes impossible... If what I hope to gain by venturing is itself certain, I do not risk or venture, but make an exchange... No, if I am in truth resolved to venture, in truth resolved to strive for the attainment of the highest good, the uncertainty must be there, and I must have room to move, so to speak. But the largest space I can obtain, where there is room for the most vehement gesture of the passion that embraces the infinite, is uncertainty of knowledge with respect to eternal happiness, or the certain knowledge that the choice is in the finite sense a piece of madness: now there is room, now you can venture!

-- Kierkegaard pp. 380-382 Postscript

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home