2003-11-05

Ten.

from the list

Cons:

she had nothing
but time on her hands:
silver rings, turquoise stones
and purple nails

i rubbed my thumb
across her palm:
a featherbed
where slept a psalm
yea, though i walk
I used to fly
and now we dance
I watched
my toenails blacken
and walked a deadened trance
until she woke me
with the knife edge
of her glance
I have the scars to prove
the clock strikes
with her hands

***

she kept her deck
beneath her pillow
and had promised
me a reading
she stuck a bookmark
in my heart
and walked away
it was autumn then
the leaves
suddenly flames
the sidewalk
burning cinders
I walked the streets
as if the sun
had called me boy
mad at the world
on aging feet
shuffling
her cards
shuffling
my feet
head
to the sky
blue
the clouds
her cards
the clouds:
her cards
shuffling
the skies
a storm passes
new clouds appear:
the chariot
the priestess
the moon
in broad daylight:
an omen

-- from She, Saul Williams

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home