2003-04-25

My sister is going to college in the fall, and in her scholarship search has come across the following:

In honor of Women’s History Month, ARRID® Antiperspirant/Deodorant and The Women’s Museum: An Institute for the Future are looking for extraordinary young women to be entered in the ARRID® Total Women of Tomorrow Scholarship Contest.
Do you know of an outstanding young woman, currently a junior or senior in high school, who embodies the following attributes?


* Strength of Character
* A Clear Vision
* Pioneering Spirit
* Community Stewardship

If so, we encourage you to nominate her directly on-line accompanied by a 500 word essay describing how your candidate fits the 4 criteria. Scholarship prizes will be awarded to three young women from across the country: Grand Prize: $10,000, 1st Prize: $5,000, and 2nd Prize: $3,000. Nominators of the Arrid® Total Women of Tomorrow winners will receive: Grand Prize: $1,000, 1st Prize: $500, and 2nd Prize: $300.

Okay, so it's deodorant, but it's also money for school; besides, the nominators are included in the prize winnin's. How could I refuse her? I asked L. to send me some notes on what she'd like me to include, and she sent me a very my-sister reply.

-----

Hey Rach: maybe this'll give you some ideas for writing that essay. Besides the incentive of $1000... hmm... you could use the $ as much as I could... :-P. Anyway, mom wants me to write the essay, but I’m too tired to do much of anything right now, so here’s some info you can use.

"Clear vision": I want to work in emergency services, so I joined CAP and do search and rescue, and joined the vollie fire department. I spend my school vacations at training schools and camp to learn new skills and keep them up. I spend my free time studying, practicing, and instructing in my specialties. I volunteered for the position of cadet ES officer in my CAP squadron and have devoted time to helping organize our resources and get new cadets trained. I’m going to major in marine safety and minor in emergency management at Massachusetts Maritime Academy.

"Strength of Character": Umm... yea. You know me. I'll do anything, any time, any way to get it done. Integrity, leadership, followership, decisiveness, etc... I take a bunch of new cadets under my wing every few weeks and make them become a working group of individuals. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way". Most of the time, I'm in front. I pull my team from the front, instead of pushing from the back. In my line of work, the ability or lack thereof, of being able to think on your feet and make the right decision can mean the difference between life and death. I am loyal to my friends, department, and team. The right decision is the one I make, though it may be difficult at times.

"Pioneering Spirit": I'm one of three females in a fire department of 50. I go the extra mile to prove my worth. I strive to be "one of the guys", trusted and capable on the fire ground. There’s nothing I won’t try and if I find I don't like it, I won't quit in the middle of the job. I will reach the finish line, screw the weather/injuries/demoralization (100 mile bike ride :-) ). I prove my worth to myself and others by working hard, trying new things, crushing things that challenge me, and being a rip-royal pain in the ass until something's done how I think it should be done. I drag people in with me if I think they could be an asset to the team. I'm always looking to get more women onto the fire department and into CAP. There needs to be more of us. Eventually we'll get all the guys in line.

"Community stewardship": Aw hell, you know what I do. I fight people’s worst nightmare. I chase ELT’s across the great state of Massachusetts. I work with the USAF, I perform community service with the church youth group, and I help rebuild houses with the Americares Homefront project. I volunteer for anything, giving back to the community more than they give to me (except maybe a neat t-shirt… ya gotta see the nice one I got at the CT fire academy). I expect nothing in return, but the satisfaction of doing a good job for the benefit of my neighbors. I can't sit around and do nothing as property burns, people suffer, and the poor guys at the air force rescue coordination center listen and watch ELT’s pop up on the computer screen signaling potential aircraft crashes.

Anyway, that's about it. Now all ya gotta do is put it together in a nice essay (which I know you can do better than anyone else I know). Just remember, it all ain't for me, you get benefits too if the almighty judges like your essay. Good luck :-)

-----

I don't know how we're related, but I'm glad we are. I love my Lo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home