2002-01-16

He lived in a world of words.
Words that asked or begged. Words that pleased. Words that insisted or commanded. Words that described or protested or complained or showed off.
Everybody spoke, it seemed to Roger, as easily and effortlessly as blinking an eye. They spoke torrents of words, all without strain or anxiety. How did they do it?
How come everyone has the magic mouth but me?
-----------------
from The Boy Who Could Make Himself Disappear by Kin Platt.
I am lost in this book again. Wandering the streets of a dingy mid-80's New York City, silent and waiting, wondering when the sun will melt the slush and when it'll be safe to go home or to school. Redandwhitestriped scarf hanging to one side, gloves lost, bus money clutched tightly in cold fingers. People's lips move, and sometimes I can even hear the words they make - even when they're looking at me, they're not talking to me. And no one has time. I, though... I barely even feel time.
I'll be under my blanket for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home