2001-12-17

i heart david lynch and thanks to little missy, I now must see this film.

So. Mulholland Drive. When I was watching the movie, I felt myself become increasingly agitated once the lesbian thing was introduced, because at that point I was convinced the movie had derailed itself. And shortly thereafter the Lynchian weirdness and bizarre chronology kicked in. But I kept telling myself "Missy, don't dwell on plot points. You'll drive yourself mad." And while I certainly don't have an explanation (which may not even exist in a 'correct' sense) for many of the plot details, I think the movie, once seen in its entirety (and probably moreso after a second viewing) makes a great deal of sense. It's amazing how truly horrific Lynch can make the ugly underbelly of Hollywood seem, though really, I think the larger message of the movie is the sheer sadness when our dreams (as in aspirations, though this movie also plays off the kind of dreams swirling through our heads when we sleep) are not only not realized, but in fact the opposite of what we'd hoped. Unlike, say, Lars Von Trier, who is bent on simply punishing his characters with contrived unfortunate situations, Lynch's characters have a strange self-awareness, with many having dualistic dispositions rooted in a(n) evil/sadness/ugliness, etc from within. Anyway, before I go any further into some nonsensical dissertation on the movie, let me just say that Naomi Watts is fantastic, and Justin Theroux is hunkalicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home