2006-03-29

Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the Universe, who saves us from touchy-feely Renewal Types

I really wanted to hate this Haggadah. (It’s a big PDF)

Even before I saw it, I wanted to hate it. "Love and Justice Haggadah"? How togetherness and good feeling should trump tradition and holiness, how separation is bad and rules are oppressive instruments and how celebrating the creator-force within us would lead us out of the bondage of religion. I assumed I would find these things, and looked for them as I read.

I didn’t find them.

I found thanking of the Source, feminization of the brachot language, and homemade poetry. I like these things individually, even the homemade poetry (which was surprisingly good). Together, they can be fearsomely awful. Not here.

There are short stories on Passovers and charoset recipes; there is a blessing from the Humanistic Jewish Tradition and a blessing over flowers. The Haggadah is full of side-steps and optional additions. It allows for creating a Trans-Friendly Space, or talking about Israeli-Palestinian politics, or engaging in a little performance poetry. It will even talk the assembled through their issues as it discusses the Four Adults along with the Four Sons.

But these possibilities, some of which I can’t stand, are part of what I’ve come to love about Judaism: the freedom to wade through unending piles of histories and traditions. I love the human and divine struggles, the focus on relationships with G-d and each other. I love that it tries my patience and engages me in argument. I love that it means I love a seder Haggadah put out by Colours of Resistance, whose introductory paragraph makes me weep.

Thanks to Radical Torah for the link (and for alternately delighting and infuriating, but never failing to engage.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home