2003-07-11

If I hear one more person compare Bush's lying about Iraq to Clinton's lying about a blowjob I am going to have an aneurism. I will not get into arguments with people who think that military aggresion and adultery are both matters of national security. I will repeat this ten times when I am tempted to get red in the face. That is all.
....



Projection

Laurie Anderson had a bad night.
Her bare arms gave the impression of cul-de-sacs in the dark.
The muscles grieved for total darkness.
Darkness, said Laurie, is the projection of the core
which although invisible is the goal of the electronic erection.
Laurie, I believe you met God face to face.
I met him face to face to face. Nobody knew who was addressing whom.
The people were turning to look at the blond in silk stockings,
the blond was turning to look at the nun with her head down.
Everyone thinks that in border situations like this
God looks at the one in black robes. But you, Laurie, know
that he looks at the one looking at the nun
and it's on her silk stockings that he sticks the "God's child" label...
God knows if he also pinches her as well.
But, that's their business. I look at my hands
attacked by love staphylococci.
I'm freezing in my folk-embroidered blouse
because she too was crazy about Indian blouses.
And he was crazy about Levi's
but may darkness swallow me up if I tell him that.
Sweet prohibition, keep Laurie's hands in good shape!
The contents of the bag are emptied into hot water
boiled for thirteen minutes and served with cream.
Then Laurie's aunt tells her Andersen's fairy tales.
Then Laurie's aunt dies
and the old maid is buried in a wedding gown.
Laurie interrupts the priest and sings to her aunt:
In the world beyond a husband is waiting for you, that's where you'll find your happiness.
You're a bitch, Laurie, and a big one at that!
But I know that you know how your palms itch when you're alone, when
the electricity goes off,
and the silence whirls in your stomach
I know that you know how hard it is
to dress in white after wearing black,
and have your arms not merge into the day
but be signs by the road
and to have nobody, Laurie, nobody travel
down your roads.

-- Lidija Dimkovska
Translated from the Macedonian by Ljubica Arsovska and Peggy Reid

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home