2003-06-24

Home and Away

[paper for now]

For All You Know

I could call myself Lilith,
or Edith or Ed. I would not change
the way I look to you. You know me
too well. You know me not at all.

I've stories to tell you: my religion,
for instance, I've spoken to God
but he was a flock of crows, and who
would believe it? I have an aunt
who murdered her husband in bed,
drew a target in lipstick, then
punctured the bull's-eye with methodical
whimsy. My mother gave birth
to a blue doll struck dumb
from the start. I've seen whales
leaping, rattlers give up the ghost.

For all you know, I've given up
writing lies that could suck you
into orgasms of small mercies.

For all you know,
I could be simple,
cook a fine meal,
hike without sweating,
carve Christ figures in secret.
For all you know,
I could let you cry in front of me.
I wouldn't say a word
and say everything.

-- Lorna Dee Cervantes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home