2007-11-04

Practice

Stacking wood, I'm thinking
about Meshullam Feibush.
How can I separate
from the insidious desires
of the temporary self, that voice

which whispers "today I want
warmer socks and a box of truffles
and praise from the people around me
and an easy shortcut
to everything I don't yet know?"

It's not so simple
to dedicate myself to wisdom,
to the river of conversation
flowing always toward Eden,
to the work I know the world demands.

Tough luck, the rav says.
I'm telling you how to taste paradise:
not despite everything
that’s appealing or uneven,
shards unwilling to reassemble,

but because in multiplicity
we can train ourselves
to notice both sides of the coin,
the radiance and the source
and how they are one.

-- Rachel Barenblat, Velveteen Rabbi

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No that this has anything to do with your poem. Buy my co-workers googled me as a gag and found some picture of me standing next to you in a " blue prom dress"

Apperntly that went up in September, what brought that up?

GS

5:38 PM  
Blogger rbarenblat said...

I'm glad you liked the poem well enough to reprint it. (And to be reprinted alongside T.S. Eliot! What an honor.)

Next time you're so inclined, if there is a next time, I'd love it if you could drop a comment on my blog to let me know you'd like to repost my poem. Thank you, and have a great Thanksgiving!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home