2005-02-02

A Visit from My Sister (c. 1982)

She gets off the bus in my mother’s old mink coat
and dungarees. Carrying a flight bag. She’s made a quick
circle around the country. Has even seen our remote
father in Florida. Two of her friends are widows.
We’re getting older and older. Luckily. I don’t
feel like lecturing her about her unfinished dissertation.
I accept everything. Even her ice cream dinners. I won’t
back my father when he accuses her of procrastination
and worries how she’ll collect social security in Istanbul.
Are you happy? is all I ask her when we talk.
"Mmm, yes . . ." she says, considering. Her eyes full.
She shows me a photo of the view from her balcony. A short walk
along the Bosporus brings her to the ferry that goes
to Asia. It’s sunny. The wind ruffles her clothing.

-- Alan Feldman
from A Sail to Great Island

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home